اسفند ۱۳، ۱۳۸۸

The Empathy Vest

So we went to this Prenatal Health Fair on Tuesday. Aside from some of the workshops such as car seat safety which were helpful, they had some exhibitions mostly to provide free info for pregnant moms and their partners. (For my friends in Iran, I should say this is one of the services that I wish we could have in Iran.) The exhibitors mostly provided info about what to eat, where to get help if you needed, breastfeeding info, baby clothing, how to deal with issues at work when you are pregnant, coping with physical and emotional changes in pregnancy, information for those who are planning to have a baby, care for your new baby, infant safety, and etc. Basically nothing was new for us. My due is in almost 5 weeks and I got all these info so far from the prenatal class that we took, hospital tour, my obstetrician and the books I am reading.

But there was one thing that we had not seen before: the empathy belly. This is a vest designed to make you feel what it's like to be pregnant! In other words, it is a pregnancy simulator. What a brilliant idea! My hats off to whoever that thought of making such a thing. It is a vest that weighs 30 Lbs (13.6 Kg). The filling material is kind of liquid that moves inside the belly and gives you the feeling of the baby moving in your womb (well, as much as it possibly could). I asked K to try it on :) 


It was fun. Although K is empathetic himself and helps me with putting on my shoes, getting off the car, turning in the bed, and everything else I need assistance with, I just wanted him to feel what it is like to carry on an extra 37 lbs (16.7 Kg) that I gained so far! The maximum weight that they had was only 30 lbs but the women who were dressing him up were so sweet and told me they try their best to make him feel 8 month pregnant LOL

Anyhow, he put the vest on, and we walked for less than 5 minutes … he said there was lots of pressure on his waist and also he could not breathe easily since the vest also simulates the limited space for lungs and makes it hard to breathe! Then the ladies asked him to bend and pick up something from the floor … the other exercise was to sit on a chair and try to fasten his shoe lace to show him how hard it is to bend over!

If you are interested to have more info about the empathy belly, here is a good link: http://www.empathybelly.org/home.html

۱ نظر:

  1. woooooow, what an advanced world!!!
    what inventive minds!!
    somehow, I really admired Kambiz :)
    say my congrats to him ...
    today I want to write about this as a writing for my English class, I think it will surprise my classmates, too.
    by the way, I read half of your previous post and it was interesting to know that Radin can hiccup, too!

    پاسخحذف